Tuesday, February 14, 2012

From Anything

I will post patterns that inspire me in the other two sections of Textile Designs, Conversational and Ethnic. However I just wanted to add that I not only get inspiration from patterns in this book, I get inspiation from anything.

Here is the 500 word inspiration essay I had to write for my Fashion Institute of Techology applicaton.


"The inspiration I have for my artwork originates from many different sources. These sources are all around me and include life’s everyday actions, certain items, and different images. Examples of these sources include museums, other people’s artwork, things that I watch, things that people say, seeing pictures and quotes, stories people tell to each other and even my own doodles.

When I visited the MoMA, the Louvre, the D’Orsay and also the MAD museum; there were specific pieces from each that inspired me. Such as Georges de La Tour in the Louvre, and Renoir in the D’Orsay; they were both collections that inspired me to continue my artwork because there were just so spectacular. Also, when I watch movies there are scenes that encourage me to recreate them or completely change them. Even when I am just walking around in any type of surrounding, there is always an accessory on someone’s outfit, a window display, an intense pattern and even tidbits of a strangers’ conversation. What people say is another thing that can always give me ideas, whether it is a story told to me, a character’s line on a television show and sometimes jokes. I remember one time a girl was having a conversation behind me about dragging her pair of jeans around by the belt hooked in them. It sparked an idea to create a picture of a little child dragging around their pants and pretending like it was their pet. Of course I also get inspired by pictures. Whether they are in magazines, books or posters, these encourage me to create a piece inspired by it. When looking through a magazine, there can be horrible advertisements that can also work as fabulous pieces of motivation for a piece of art. Certain quotes that I read can encourage me to create something because when I read there is always more than the book being contemplated in my head. A quote that always makes me think very hard is said by Lewis Carroll. He once said “Who in the world am I? Ah, that’s the great puzzle.” , this quote has always made me envision what people think they are, who they want to be and who they genuinely are; which are all very vague and so it creates many different ideas. Another thing that has always got my brain working is just doodling. When I begin doodling I don’t expect it to actually create anything, but as I continue every doodle surprises me and becomes something unexpected. Doodle’s, help the process of thinking because anything can be created.

The love I have for artwork and by keeping an open mind, allows me to be inspired by almost everything, which is fantastic. I love thinking of new ideas constantly; the only downside is trying to remember them all. Being inspired is always a great occurrence for me, but can be bittersweet because of the inability for me to go off and do what I want at any moment."


I will post my inspiring textiles soon!

Working on my pattern for my place setting tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment